Weld Observer article. WebbSwimmer: First Swim of the Season, Early to Mid-June.
(For the Weld Observer, long version; photo by Henry Blau, III)
“They’re ducks, Paul, not loons.” There were thirteen floating fowl in the water. “Loons come in singles or pairs.” I was a little too cocky.
Paul stood in a dark swimsuit about thigh deep in the cold
water at dawn. His goggles were
assembled on his head, and his body occasionally shuddered in the just-above-freezing
mist rising from the lake. We did not expect to invite the chill by stalling
our swim, but we like to give loons space and honor their territory. We respect
their regal elegance, swimming skills, and powerful beaks.
I peered intently over Paul’s shoulders, watching the large
birds sitting low in the water, clearly displaying laddered backs, long
distinctive beaks, pearl necklaces, and shiny smooth black heads. They were motionless and silent. Paul had
been correct; they were loons. I was aghast.
Thirteen?
“Hey there,” I almost sang, speaking in words I use each
year to greet the loons and warn them I was entering their territory. “Hey
there,” I repeated as they turned effortlessly creating only the smallest of
ripples on the lake. Their heads rotated side to side as they peered at us
silently. They look so graceful; it seems ironic that the name “Loon” comes
from the Scandinavian word for clumsy.
They are only clumsy out of the water.
We stood still, waiting for the loons to decide where they
would go; we would swim in the opposite direction. I am, after all, a LoonDodger and aware that
these birds weigh up to sixteen pounds and have pointy beaks. The standoff felt interminable.
They gazed at us; we gazed at them. Clocks stopped,
breathing slowed, and our beating hearts echoed loudly as the most discernable
sound. The stillness in the air engulfed us all as the mist rose gently from
the mirrored lake. In another hour, the
opposite shore would become visible, but for now it was shrouded in thick fog
that absorbed all sound.
The raft of loons (sometimes referred to as an asylum) gently
veered to the right, we dove left paddling swiftly, staying parallel to shore. I could feel my blood shift from my arms to
my torso. My arms felt the chill, but my core felt the warmth. Swim, breathe. Swim, breathe. Swim, breathe.
My mouth tasted the sweet spring water, a flavor of which I
can only dream in the winter when chlorine dulls my senses. There is no other spring water, be it bottled
out of Switzerland or Figi, that tastes like our lake or our spring waters in Weld.
It’s a comfort taste, a taste of home,
of clean living, of the water from the pipe on the Wilton road, of Mount Blue’s
gurgling well, and of the stream crossing the trail on Mount Bald.
Our hands slipped into the still water as we worked to fend
off the shakes and as we worked to make progress towards Williams’ beach – or maybe
the other end of the sandy shoreline, the Inn beach. Swim, breathe. Swim, breathe. Swim, breathe. We focused on our cruising
speed and on gathering warmth.
My eyes darted at the images below the surface. Each rock
rested gently against its neighbor, some pushed by the recently-receded
ice. Pathways of larger rocks, driven powerfully
by freezing water, made distinct roads below us. Plants had not yet sprouted, fish had not yet created
their nests to guard. Thick green plant life
did not swallow the rocks; no one’s water hoses were yet tied to milk-crates on
the bottom. Only a few docks stretched from shore, and I could hear the silence
in the water, unpunctuated by whines of outboard motors. I felt the clean of the refreshing spring
water in my armpits, thighs, and in the arches of my feet. As the sand, rocks, winter logs, and lost anchors
rose up to greet us, I slowed into an egg-beater kick and looked at Paul.
We were surrounded by the raft of loons. All thirteen had followed us. We swam with the loons, or rather, they swam
with us. We looked around at each bird, treading
water and rotating our own heads in the same way as the loons are known to do.
We were in the asylum and acting like it. “Hey there,” I called. No one
answered.
Later, sitting on our concrete patio, we shared an afternoon
beverage with Ron and Pam Moore. Earlier in the day, Pam had been standing on
her sister’s dock looking out at the raft of loons while Paul and I had stood
earlier in the day, shaking in the water.
She saw them head right, then she saw us dive to the left.
“Then,” she said, “the most amazing thing happened. One loon raised himself up, flapping, and
made one hoot. In unison, all thirteen
turned and followed you, joining you closely in your morning swim.”
That was 2022. In 2023,
the raft of loons now numbering twelve settled in a more northern region of our
beloved lake but would occasionally swim to greet us on our morning swims in
our cove. If a loon was not immediately with
me on a swim, I called, “Hey there,” casting an announcement of my visit to
their home. Perhaps they heard this as a beckon; when I approached Bowley Rock,
I was often joined by a loon hooting hello. Then again when I passed Pine
Point, a loon frequently offered a soulful greeting. Loons often keep pace with
me when I swim, sometimes diving below and reappearing on the opposite side.
Last summer, James Paruk spoke to a collection of Weldophiles
about our loons. His book, Loon
Lessons, describes how he observed loons swim under dolphins to take advantage
of better fishing opportunities provided by the dolphins’ wake. His
descriptions of Loons’ movement with dolphins paralleled my experience. Perhaps
I was stirring up the fish for the loon?
Knowledgeable, humorous, and entertaining, Dr. Paruk shared
images, experiences, ideas, and information with us about our feathered summer
residents. After the talk, I shared with
him my interactions with Webb Lake loons.
He smiled knowingly and spoke with certainty: “They know you.” Loons can live to be over thirty years old
and return to the same cove on the same lake.
Each bird has a unique identifying sound – and likely each bird identifies
me by my unique, “Hey there.” This greeting is not much different from how we
say hello to Carol Cochran in the Town Office, Nancy Stowell at the flower
shop, Judy Marden at the Transfer Station, David Alexander while working on his
boat, or Maggi Vivrette behind the desk at the Mount Blue Garage.
Both loons and humans are philopatric – we love our
home. Both loons and humans recognize
the differences in their neighbors – loons by sounds, humans by faces. Both
loons and humans share the same home here in Weld. Loons know each other as
neighbors – just as humans do. Loons
greet each other enthusiastically as friends – just as humans do. As the summer
residents descend upon Webb and Weld with the surety of the daffodils, lilacs, brilliant
sunsets, out-of-state plates and tents, we can greet each other with the
recognition that we agree on something profoundly important: our love of home.
WebbSwimmer:
Swimming in an Asylum
“They can’t be loons,” I said to Paul. “Loons appear in singles or pairs. This group
is so big -- must be ducks.” Upon a
deeper look, I saw their laddered backs, shiny black heads, pearl necklaces,
and large beaks. They were loons. We were looking at a raft of thirteen common loons.
I called a greeting to them that I’ve used in years past, “Hey There,” and was
met with silent turns of heads that seemed to express a curiosity more than a greeting.
It was dawn on a mid-June day in
2022; a mist rose from the lake contributing to the fog. The raft, also called
an asylum, of loons floated seamlessly with the water, creating only the
smallest of concentric ripples when they turned. We waited until they turned to the right,
then we dove left for our morning swim to the Inn Beach. We wanted to give the
loons space and not invade their kingdom.
When the sandy bottom rose to greet
us upon our approach to the shore, we raised our heads, slowed to eggbeater
kicks, and found ourselves surrounded by the raft. They followed us! Our heads above water, we looked left and
right, mirroring their head movements. We
were in the asylum.
Throughout the summer, as I have
each summer, I swim – alone – to a variety of erratic rocks left by glaciers
that are scattered under the water around our cove. When I’m between Pine Point and Bass Rock, a
lone loon often joins me in my swim, diving beneath me and surfacing on the
opposite side and zigzagging for nearly a mile.
When I’m north of Center Reef headed to Bowley Rock, I’m joined again by
a loon who greets me with a single hoot – and I reply with my calling card, “Hey
There.” He also engages in zig-zag behavior, appearing alternately on my right,
then my left.
In 2023, the raft settled north of
our camp on the lake and numbered twelve loons.
Dr. James Paruk, author of Loon
Lessons: Uncommon Encounters with the Great Northern Diver, spoke to a
congregation of Webb Lake loon lovers in the summer of 2023. I found myself sharing
with him my experiences with loons. “They
know you,” he smiled with an air of certainty.
Loons live to be over thirty years old and are philopatric – they
love their home – returning each year to not only the same lake but the same
cove. Each loon has its own unique
sound; the community of loons on the lake communicates through their wails,
hoots, yodels, and calls. Loons
recognize each other by their individual sounds; my ‘Hey There’ serves as my
unique loon-esque call.
The zig-zag behavior? In Loon Lessons, Dr. Paruk reports
that he observed loons following in the wake of dolphins, taking advantage of
the fish stirred up by the currents of water around the dolphins. Perhaps I am
stirring up fish in the same way, allowing the loons to catch an easy meal
through better fishing opportunities.
Both loons and humans are
philopatric – we love our homes in Weld in and beside the lake. Both loons and humans recognize the
differences in their neighbors – loons by sounds, humans by faces. Both loons
and humans share the same home here in Weld.
Loons know each other as neighbors – just as humans do. Loons greet each other enthusiastically as friends
– just as humans do. As the summer residents descend upon Webb and Weld with
the surety of the daffodils, lilacs, brilliant sunsets, out-of-state plates and
tents, we can greet each other with the recognition that we agree on something
profoundly important: our love of home.

Comments
Post a Comment